The following is a detail page of Virtual Grub Street's Adware & Malware Identifier Index:
The information in the Adware & Malware Identifier Index is the result of thousands of web searches. It can not, however, possibly be complete. The subject is vast and constantly changing. Moreover, vendor uninstall tools and other removal tools do not necessarily remove all of an infection from your computer. Vendor uninstall tools, for instance, may silently leave cookies or other tracking software installed. It is suggestible to follow up a removal with one or more adware scans and/or to do an inspection using a HijackThis log. The information on the page is not guaranteed correct and any use you may choose to make of it is entirely at your own risk.
EliteBar Toolbar, EliteSideBar, Elitum, EM Toolbar, Enternet Media Toolbar; ETBRUN, LQ, PokaPoka, SearchMiracle, YupSearch
- Associated Worms/Trojans: Trojan.EliteBar.a [Ewido] (a.k.a. PokaPoka76.exe); small.gz; startpage.fk (a.k.a. startpage.nk, temperror32.dat); startpage.sj.
- Executable Files: O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] c:\windows\system32\elite***32.exe; eliteabu32.exe; elitebhi32.exe; elitebyj32.exe; elitecfh32.exe; eliteckj32.exe; elitecla32.exe; elitecxw32.exe; elitedbt32.exe; elitedph32.exe; elitednv32.exe; eliteetx32.exe; eliteeys32.exe; elitefmj32.exe; elitefyb32.exe; elitegdp32.exe; elitehaf32.exe; elitehln32.exe; elitehxt32.exe; eliteine32.exe; eliteizj32.exe; elitejhs32.exe; elitejko32.exe; elitekck32.exe; elitekpi32.exe; elitekyk32.exe; elitelaj32.exe; elitelfv32.exe; elitelgy32.exe; elitelhg32.exe; elitemoa32.exe; elitemol32.exe; elitemuc32.exe; elitenii32.exe; elitenne32.exe; elitenrz32.exe; eliteoey32.exe; eliteosm32.exe; eliteoxx32.exe; eliteozz32.exe; elitepam32.exe; elitepdt32.exe; eliteptl32.exe; elitepye32.exe; elitepys32.exe; elitervh32.exe; eliterwr32.exe; eliteuej32.exe; eliteutt32.exe; eliteuzz32.exe; elitevaj32.exe; elitewfu32.exe; elitewjf32.exe; elitewug32.exe; elitewvn32.exe; elitevba32.exe; elitevji32.exe; elitexdk32.exe; elitexiy32.exe; elitexlp32.exe; elitexxe32.exe; elitexyi32.exe; eliteyif32.exe; elitezgx32.exe; elitezvo32.exe; elitezwk32.exe; etc. C:\windows\system32\kalv***32.exe; pokapoka**.exe; pokapoka62.exe; pokapoka65.exe; pokapoka66.exe; pokapoka67.exe; pokapoka68.exe; pokapoka70.exe; pokapoka75.exe; pokapoka76.exe; sideb.exe.
- Dynamic Link Libraries:EliteBar version 50.dll; Elites~1.dll; EliteSideBar 07.dll; EliteSideBar 08.dll (a.k.a. EliteBar.b); EliteToolBar version 53.dll; nt_hide76.dll; etc.
- Directory/Search Page: http://www.24-7searching-and-more.com/sp2.php; http://www.the818search-co.com/; http://www.audioseek.net/; http://www.myseachexplorer.com/; http://ad1.searchmiracle.com/; http://searchmiracle.com/; http://www.searchmiracle.com/; http://www.xosearchox.com/; http://www.yupsearch.com/search.php; http://yupsearch.com/sb.php, etc..
- Uninstall Page URL: Direct download link/file from search directory pages. An uninstall file is also downloaded along with the infection but is reputed to be ineffective.
- Related Articles: Fighting Malware with Standard Windows Tools (February 25, 2007). You may have more in your bag of tricks than you realize. EliteBarfix.bat Information Page (October 20, 2005); PokaPoka.exe + Nothing = YupSearch (October 19, 2005); Elite Toolbar Remover Information Page (October 17, 2005); LQfix Information Page (October 15, 2005); EliteBar Removal Tool Updates to 2.0.1 (September 21, 2005); SearchMiracle.EliteBar Then and Now (September 20, 2005); More on Variant ADW_ELITEBAR.D.(May 27, 2005); Diabolical New EliteBar Variant Strikes the Web!!!! (May 22, 2005); EliteBar Removal Tool Updates to 1.3.0!!!!! (May 20, 2005); HijackThis vs. the Elitebar Removal Tool (April 23, 2005); EliteBar Removal Tool Alert: Update V.1.2.2.!!! (April 18, 2005); HijackThis vs. SearchMiracle/EliteBar (April 11, 2005); How to Remove SearchMiracle/ EliteBar (February 27, 2005, historical version); Important Removal Tool Note.
- Notes: Automatically reinstalls upon removal. The EliteBar Removal Tool can not remove the variant adw_elitebar.d. See Diabolical New EliteBar Variant Strikes the Web!!!! and More on Variant ADW_ELITEBAR.D for further details.
- SearchMiracle.EliteBar can be removed by SimplyTech's Elite Toolbar Remover and Miekiemoes's LQfix. Not all PokaPoka trojan files can be removed by these tools.
- Associated trojan files (including PokaPoka76.exe) can be removed by the Ewido Security Suite trialware. It is suggested that the user follow up the Security Suite with either the Elite Toolbar Remover or LQfix in order to remove remaining files of the infection.
- Some key files can be removed in Safe Mode with Tech Support Guy's EliteBarfix.bat.
VGS encourages you to post comments about the service it offers, and, in particular, about your experiences with the removal tools suggested in its pages. Removal tool comments will be most effective in helping those who come after you if you post them to the individual detail page for the malware item you used the tool to remove. Please be as clear and as detailed as possible. The most effective comments might include such information as: 1) What browser and operating system you are are running on your computer (i.e. Windows 98, NT, XP, Linux, Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox); 2) What updates are installed (i.e. SP1, SP2); 3) What anti-virus/malware package(s) are resident in your computer; and 4) the actions you took in the order you took them.